10 Ways To Overcome
Your Fear Of Selling
1. The most obvious way to eliminate your fear of selling is to quit your job. Why in the world would you even consider for a single minute staying in a job that you fear. I seldom encourage quitting. But if your fear of selling can't be resolved and it's giving you daily pangs of anxiety and occasional headaches - maybe, just maybe you ought to consider another line of work.
On the other hand, if you're just suffering from a little angst now and then, keep reading for some creative ways to deal with your anxieties.
2. Do this self-assessment. On a 1-10 scale, 10 being the highest, rate yourself in these 13 areas of professional selling. Attitude, self-confidence, enthusiasm, goal setting, time management, communication skills, prospecting, qualifying your prospects, presentation skills, handling objections, preparing sales proposals, closing skills, and measuring your results.
This self-evaluation will help you with the next point.
3. Pinpoint your fear of selling. What exactly is it? Does your anxiety originate with your lowest assessment numbers from the previous self evaluation? There's an old saying that says, "A problem defined is a problem half solved." I believe this to be true.
Determining your weak links is the first step to eliminating them.
4. Do what you fear first. Let's say your fear of selling stems from a lack of self confidence when you're prospecting. You're just not good at calling people you don't know and trying to get appointments with them. It takes skills and lots of self confidence to do this right.
Here's your choice. You can acquire the necessary skills to make appointments by telephone or do what Albert Einstein says is Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
I did a key word search on Google with these words "Sales prospecting" and uncovered 2,350,000 results. This is a good place for you to start looking.
5. Think big and start small. Okay, you want to cure your fear of selling and in this case, it means getting better at making appointments using the telephone. Starting small means buying a book or buying a CD on this topic and making a list of what you need to do to overcome this paralysis.
Actually, the best and easiest way to dramatically improve your telephone skills is to get Art Sobczak books, "How To Sell More In Less Time With No Rejection - Vol I & II."
Here's the link: http://www.businessbyphone.com/HSM.htm
6. Keep a success journal. Keep a written record of what's working and what's not working for you on a daily basis. The ideal time to do this is right after a sales call, while it's still fresh in your mind. Notice and record the little things.
These little things add up over time and can influence outcomes.
Keep track of your obstacles and your successes.
7. Talk to yourself. Use affirmations repeatedly. Try this on for size. "Every day in every way I'm sharpening my selling skills and acquiring new ones." Say this 10 times aloud before your first sales call and again just after lunch.
Fears and anxieties can't stand up to powerful self affirmations. Try it for 21 days. It really works.
Every time you do this you're taking a solid whack at your fear of selling.
8. Always expect the best outcomes. This is a major attitude adjustment for most salespeople and business entrepreneurs. Don't let your mind wander aimlessly and attract negative thoughts.
One of the best ways to cure your fear of selling is to always think positively. You can't control the weather. You can't control what someone else is thinking. You can't control time - make it go faster or slower.
But you can control your thoughts. You can have positive thoughts and you can have negative thoughts. And guess what - you decide!
9. Put a mask on as you're driving to your first sales call. This mask is made from a blended and invisible substance. It's available to everyone who wants it.
The cost is zero and the benefits are many. The mask is made from equal parts of energy, enthusiasm and passion. Add a smile to the mix and you'll likely vaporize any fear of selling you have.
Who can resist a person who is smiling? Who is not attracted to a person who loves his work. Always remember your energy, enthusiasm, and passion are contagious.
10. Enjoy the journey. Don't take things too seriously. Have fun. Enjoy the view and the ride. The sum of your life is not based on how many meetings you attended, how many e-mails you sent, or how many voicemails you returned.
The quickest way to sharpen your selling skills is to teach the subject. Ask your sales manager to give you 15 minutes so you can present your ideas on a particular selling skill. The best way to learn something is to teach it.
There you have it - 10 ways to overcome your fear of selling.
Now you can start selling more and turn your fear of selling into a fearless attitude that accompanies you on every sales call.
Start selling more today and everyday . . .
Subscribe to Jim Meisenheimer's "Free" Start
Selling More Newsletter
Go here to eliminate your Fear Of Public Speaking
Return from Fear Of Selling to Start Selling More
Go here to see Sales Articles
Go here to see more Sales Techniques
Go here for more Selling Tips
Go here to see my Selling Tools
Go here to learn more about Jim Meisenheimer