Selling - Going For Gold
Selling - going for Gold Medals. There's a connection you know.
The 2008 Summer Olympics ended last Sunday.
The USA team won 110 medals which was more than any other country.
The USA team won 36 Gold Medals, 38 Silver Medals, and 36 Bronze Medals.
Michael Phelps won eight Gold Medals which adds up to 7.3% of all the medals won by team USA. He also won 22% of team USA's Gold Medals.
Michael is also a 14 time Olympic Gold Medalist.
As an individual, Michael Phelps, won more Medals than 61 different countries.
When I stop and think about his achievements words like unbelievable, incredible, phenomenal, extraordinary, remarkable, amazing, and exceptional come to mind.
Here are a few things you might not know about Michael Phelps.
His outside interests include poker and movies. His favorite quote is "Actions speak louder than words." His favorite organization is the Boys and Girls Club. His heroes include Michael Jordan and his mother.
A few other things you might not be aware of include:
Michael Phelps trains 365 days a year, with two practices on 40 percent of those days. Over a four year time period, Phelps might have gotten in six months more work than the average elite swimmer.
Michael’s technique is excellent, and no one works harder at it.
He hates to lose!
His ability to relax, focus and block out the pain all at once is legendary.
His physique notwithstanding, endurance may be Michael’s single greatest asset.
It's been said, "Every time he splashes into the water he's looking for a once-in-a-life-time performance."
If you're an entrepreneur or a professional sales representative, Michael Phelps just might be the ideal role model for you - assuming you'd like to win a Gold Medal in Selling.
Here's a short "To Do List" if you're going for Gold.
1. Every time you make a sales call you expect it to be "Your Best Sales Call Ever!"
2. You exercise your body (even if it's only for 15 minutes) 365 days a year.
3. You exercise your mind (even if it's only for 15 minutes) 365 days a year.
4. You schedule your priorities and push aside interruptions and distractions.
5. Just as students of tae kwon do prepare and practice to get their "Black Belt," you are dedicated to preparation and practice to master the "Art Of Selling."
6. Just as an Olympic athlete has a game plan for every event you have a written sales call objective for every sales call.
7. You hate to lose!
8. You do everything imaginable, everything, to win the big sale.
9. When your sales prospects and customers think of you, the first word that comes to mind is "Extraordinary."
Selling - going for Gold Medals. In sales there are no Gold Medals - but there are judges. The judges are your sales prospects and customers. You can rest assured you are being judged against all competitors.
You are being judged everyday in every way.
If Michael Phelps chose selling as a career, what would he do?
What would he focus on?
How would he prepare?
How would he train?
How would he prepare and practice?
Who would he hold accountable for his success in sales?
No doubt he would be thinking, "If it is to be, it is up to me!" In this case the "Me" is really YOU!
See you in the "Winner's Circle."
Selling - going for Gold Medals. Now you know the connection.
Return from Going For Gold to Sales Articles
Subscribe to Jim Meisenheimer's "Free" Start
Selling More Newsletter