by Jim Meisenheimer
Sales motivation is not my department it's your department. Let me explain.
As a professional speaker and sales trainer, I sometimes get introduced as
a motivational speaker. The truth is I'm not.
You see, if you weren't a truely motivated person before I started speaking,
you probably wouldn't be motivated after I finished.
And the simple truth is that sales motivation is an inside job. It's up
to you - it's not up to me or anyone else. It's up to you!
You have one life - live it with gusto. Don't just satisfy your customers -
astonish them with your service. Take chances, make mistakes and exhaust your
human potential. You won't have to chase business you will attract it.
Here are 25 things you can do to fire up your internal motivational burners:
1. Create a Personal Life List which includes a list of personal goals you'd
like to achieve in your lifetime.
2. Create a Professional Life List which includes a list of your career / business
goals. Sales motivation puts the snap, crackle, and pop into your action plans.
3. Take pictures of your top 10 customers and your top 10 prospects - buildings,
logos, etc. Create an album which includes your specific goals and a specific
date for achieving them. You'll achieve more goals when you can see them clearly.
That's why a picture is worth a 1,000 words.
4. You'll get sales motivated to make better telephone calls after you buy
and of course read Art Sobczak’s book, “How To Sell More In Less Time
With No Rejection.”
Get your copy here:
You gotta make the appointment before you make the sale. Art Sobczak is a master
at showing salespeople how to do it.
5. Tell your family what your specific sales goals are for the year and keep
them posted on your progress. Tell your family if you achieve 110% or more of
your annual sales quota, you will take them anywhere they want to go on vacation.
6. Tell your family how, as a family, you will celebrate when you become the
top sales representative in your company. If you're not the top sales rep in
your company, maybe it's because you never thought about it. Remember
- you will become what you think about most.
7. Tell your family every time you achieve a new monthly sales record, you
will take them out to celebrate.
8. To get motivated about improving your personal financial situation, set
a personal net worth goal and write it on a spread sheet, then review it monthly.
This will also keep you focused on achieving your sales goals. Self worth increases
proportionately with net worth.
9. Buy a book of inspiration and keep it in your car. Read it daily. One of
my favorites is, "Light From Many Lamps" by Lillian Eichler
Watson. Remember - you're the chief inspiration officer in your life. Inspirational
words are very inspiring and will provide you with an endless stream of sales
10. Record, and burn to a CD, 30 of your favorite quotations. Nothing is more
powerful than the sound of your own voice. If you need some ideas checkout out
my eBook titled, "250 Transformational, Informational, Motivational,
and Educational Quotations."
here to get your copy:
11. Buy a composition notebook for your car. Record your successes, failures,
and daily observations about your selling environment. Make your life your laboratory.
12. Go to audible.com to download MP3 files of the newest and best business
books to help you achieve your Life (Personal and Professional) goals. For example
"Made To Stick," by the Heath Brothers.
13. Begin every day with a six-pack. A written and prioritized list of the
things you want to do and the people you want to call. Using numbers prioritize
your list everyday. This will minimize the distractions and interruptions and
keep you focused on doing what's important first.
14. Write down a list of all the things you don't like about your work and
your life. From this list - create a list of sales goals to eliminate the negatives
in your life. It's your life - take control. Do this and you'll get rid of that
helpless and hopeless feeling forever.
15. Invest 15 minutes every day to read books and articles about your selling
profession. This is gourmet food for your brain. Don’t skip a day. Snack
often! This is sales motivation at its best!
16. Invest 15 minutes daily to plan for the next day. There is nothing more
motivating than starting your day with a written plan - your plan!. Make this
a daily habit and you'll sell more in less time and have more fun doing it.
17. Write your own headlines. Business, personal, golf, family, spiritual,
financial, self-development, physical well-being etc. Creating your own headlines
for how you want your life to turn out, will have a definite influence on how
indeed your life turns out!
18. Run with the stars - hang out with the best in your business/industry.
Model their sales behaviors and don't be shy about asking them for advice. Learn
to experiment with the ideas you get from observing the pros in action. This
is a terrific way to focus your sales motivation on getting better results,
19. The slower you start something, the faster you'll finish it. Break up big
projects into smaller and less threatening pieces. The more smaller tasks you
do the sooner your big project will be completed.
20. You can over achieve every sales quota you are given if you follow this
street smart sales tip. First, write yourself a check dated for 12/31/New Year
- payable to you and write how much you want to earn on the amount line. Make
three laminated copies and put one in your briefcase, auto console, and home
office. Look at them every day and ask, "How am I doing?"
Second, always aim higher than the quota you are given. Be sure to sign the
check to make it stick. If you adjust your aim, your results will improve.
When you combine goal setting with sales motivation you'll achieve incredible
21. Get a mentor, preferably one outside of your company. Successful people
love helping others to become successful too. But you gotta ask. The truly successful
people never go it alone.
22. Join or start a mastermind group. I belong to one and we've been meeting
every three months for the last 10 years. It's the best reality check I've ever
had. It's also extremely motivating when your group encourages and supports
you as you take bold risks to get to the next level.
23. You can dramatically improve your sales performance and results by using
cue cards. Prepare your own laminated cue cards. Create cue cards for making
appointments, a list of your 12 best questions, for handling the price objection,
and for asking for the order. Each cue card should be prepared word-for-word.
Your performance will sky-rocket - and so will your self-confidence.
24. Make a dinner date with your spouse tonight and go some place special.
Tell the person your plans for succeeding in business and in life and ask for
25. Select one song that really gets you moving and play it every morning as
you back out of your driveway. And if you ever get beat up royally on a sales
call, make sure you play that song again - to pick yourself up again.
Sure sales motivation is an inside job. Sure you have to work at it. You have
two options. You can be motivated or you can choose not to be.
Sales motivated salespeople make more money, have more customers, have more
friends, have more fun and believe it or not have more time to achieve their
personal and professional goals.
When you get motivated and stay motivated, you'll start selling more . . .