The subject of time management is so important I wrote a book titled "57 Ways To Take Control Of Your Time And Your Life."
What follows is from the second chapter.
It's not possible to manage time. You can't make the clock run faster. You can't make it run slower. You have no control over time. Each of us begins the day with 1440 minutes.
It's your personal inventory. You use the time or you lose the time. There are simply no alternatives. Each week has 168 hours, no more and certainly no less. While managing time is out, managing yourself is in. Remember, as Henry Ford once said, "Don't complain, don't explain."
Here are 10 time management tips for achieving more in less time when you're selling.
1. Get up to 30 minutes earlier everyday. Do the math and see a much extra time it gives you over the span of one year.
2. Take a course in self-management or one in priority management.
3. Commit to keeping a time log for one entire week. Record every activity and the time you give it. Your time busters will become very apparent.
4. Throughout your selling day routinely and quietly ask yourself, "Am I making the very best use of my time right now?"
5. Never do a task if there is a more important one to be done. Never! Foregoing priorities gets you off track more than anything else.
6. Build flex time into every day's schedule to allow for the unexpected. To do this is wise, not to do this is foolhardy.
7. Buy a timer. Time all phone calls, meetings, and projects. There's nothing more precious than your time. Don't you squander it and don't permit others to steal it.
8. Set aside one hour every week getting rid of things (personally and professionally) you don't need and can live without. It's called simplifying. Most of us have too much stuff that we can live without.
9. Take a few moments to write your own epitaph. Really do it. After you write it, look at it, and ask yourself "Is this the life I'm leading?" It's never too late to make changes in your life. I take that back, it's probably too late when someone else starts writing your epitaph.
10. Learn to say nowhen you're selling! Try saying it firmly and softly at least once a day to any unreasonable request. This is one good habit to develop.
There is a reason why you need more time. It's because you're attempting to much. Plan your life and plan your days. If you want more balance in your life . . . schedule it.
P.S. - Use the form below to sign-up for my FREE Start Selling More Newsletter.